Thursday 19 April 2012

Day 7, Thursday 19 April 2012

A group activity depicting the current factors that will influence leaders and leadership today.  Members had to paste these on a "tree" and engage in discussion

A very thought-provoking session with Prof Derick De Jongh was provided this morning.  I have learned a few things from his lecture, namely, that introspection is essential because any decisions we make as leaders have consequences.  It is one of the most difficult exercises one engages in - how do I make decisions which will take into account issues that are external to my organisation?  How can I become a good leader who is sensitive to global issues such as climate change, child labour, etc.  In other words, how do we define and practice "responsible leadership"?  Groups were given a very interesting exercise which stimulated our thinking on the different kinds of leadership and we had to identify the drivers for these types of leadership in the 21st Century.  The picture above shows the activity that facilitated this deep discussion. It taught me that to develop leadership is one matter, but to develop responsible leadership is quite a different kettle of fish.

I must confess that of all the very interactive and energetic talks and activities I had participated in during the past few days, the session by Marietjie Schutte was the most monotonous and least enriching one.  Nearly 100 slides were used to convey the importance of knowledge management, although the content was informative and very academic.  However, one appreciates the fact that each presenter implements a different teaching method.

Ronel Rensburg
As I am a member of the marketing committee at UCT Libraries, I found Ronel Rensburg's discussion on branding and communication very enlightening indeed.  I could identify with most of the facts she had conveyed and during our group exercise, I thoroughly enjoyed formulating a campaign for a service that our "company" offers.  It was great fun and I will certainly use some of these ideas back home and share them with our committee. 



No comments:

Post a Comment